I made this cake for my Rule Britania Party shoot for Bird's Party Magazine - It's is my own twist on the classic Victoria Sponge cake.
Since we're celebrating Queen Elizabeth's reign this summer, I thought I'd inject a little British summer taste into my recipe, and called it a Jubilee Cake!
Strawberries & Cream Cake RecipeInstead of decorating the cake with raspberry preserve and dusting of sugar, I went all out with some fresh strawberries as the cake decorations and a cream cheese frosting - What better than strawberries and cream to cool you down?! :)
JUBILEE CAKE RECIPE
* 175g (6oz) of softened butter
* 175g (6oz) caster sugar
* 175g self-raising flour
* 3 beaten eggs
* 3-4 TBS strawberry preserve
* 2 cups vanilla cream cheese frosting and fresh halved strawberries for decoration.
1. Line and grease 2 round cake tins (18 cm (7”).
2. Beat the butter and eggs together until pale and fluffy.
3. Add eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Fold in flour in two batches and divide the mix between the tins. Level the top and bake at 190˚C (375˚F) gas mark 5 for 20 minutes.
5. Test with a skewer in the center - If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
6. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool. When cool, sandwich the cakes together with the preserve and decorate the top with swirls of the frosting.
7. Spread a thin layer of frosting on sides of cake and decorate with halved strawberries and a cake bunting from Bird’s Party.