I hate the cold, there I've said it. Yes, I do enjoy the end of year festivities and such like, but the cold? Not so keen. But as far I'm concerned, some of the season's upsides are the mandatory fluffy socks, woolly hats (that hide a multitude of hair sins...), fireside snuggling and of course, the good ol' hot toddy!! ;)
So over the years I've tried an array of flavors and, this sweet mulled wine is one of my faves! It's perfect for Thanksgiving too. I make it with Muscat wine and a dash of tangerine juice, which helps complement the citrus notes in the wine.
Muscat & Tangerine Mulled Wine Recipe
Ingredients - for about 20 servings
Recipe can be easily double, tripled...
* 750 ml of Muscat wine
* 1 cup of tangerine juice
* Cinnamon sticks - to taste (I used 3x 3 inch pieces)
* 6 whole cloves
* 1/2 cup water
* Peel from 2 tangerines - Use a vegetable peeler
* 2 sliced tangerines (keep skin on and slice with a serrated knife)
* 2 tbsp honey - adjust sweetness to taste
Combine all ingredients in a large pot, cover and simmer on low setting for about 2 hours. Serve with a twist of tangerine peel and a cinnamon stick.
* Rim glasses with brown sugar for added flair and sweetness.
* Use cute Thanksgiving printable decor tags that double-duty as glass markers.
* Use a wine work as place-card holder, and label your concoction! ;)
Cristina Riches aka Bird, is the founder of BirdsParty.com. She's also a creative mom of two, published author, graphic designer, magazine editor and unconditional party lover. Her party ideas have been featured on numerous publications such as Forbes.com, CNN Entertainment, Parenting Magazine and MarthaStewart.com; and she's a regular party contributor to PBS Parents, Yum Food for Kids Magazine, Créative Magazine and HGTV.