* 200 g of grated cheese per person : 1/3 Beaufort, 1/3 Comté et 1/3 Emmental.
* 300 ml of white wine per each 1 kg of cheese
* 1 peeled garlic clove
* 1 teaspoon of corn starch (optional)
* Nutmeg to taste
1) Cut the garlic clove in half and rub the all around the inside of a heat-proof casserole or fondue pot. Leave the remaining garlic piece inside the pot for a stronger flavor.
2) Add the wine and bring to a boil over a medium heat.
3) Slowly add the grated cheeses to the wine, mixing with a wooden spoon until all melted. It takes a while, but keep stirring until it is all homogeneous.
4) Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Serve at once.
TIP: If your fondue still has a little liquid on the side, you can thicken it by dissolving a teaspoon of cornstarch into a little water and add the thin paste formed to the fondue. Stir to bring the cheeses together and get a smoother texture.
Dip bread, vegetables, fruit and anything else you like into the fondue. But be careful not to drop a piece inside the fondue pot when dipping – According to tradition, those who do, have to carry out a forfeit! ;)
Cristina Riches aka Bird, is the founder of BirdsParty.com. She's also a creative mom of two, published author, graphic designer, magazine editor and unconditional party lover. Her party ideas have been featured on numerous publications such as Forbes.com, CNN Entertainment, Parenting Magazine and MarthaStewart.com; and she's a regular party contributor to PBS Parents, Yum Food for Kids Magazine, Créative Magazine and HGTV.