For the Pool Party I styled last weekend, I wanted to serve some ice cream without the bother of worrying about them melting in the heat etc. So I scoured Pinterest and the web for ideas, and came across loads of interesting faux ice cream desserts, so I decided to make that instead.
Another thing I did NOT want to do was spend my entire day in the kitchen , so I cheated a little and used shop bought chocolate brownie bites! ;)
Ice Cream Cupcakes:
What you'll Need:
* Ice cream cones
* Mini cupcakes of your choice (or you can use a round cookie cutter to cut smaller bites out of a
* Vanilla cream cheese frosting (recipe below)
* Ice cream sprinkles
* Styrofoam block
* Fresh maraschino cherries
How to make your ice cream cupcakes:
1. Push the mini cupcakes into each ice cream cone with your fingers, making sure you fill as much of the cone as possible and the cake does not fall to the bottom of the cone! Ensure to push a little with your fingers in the center of each so you have a bit of room for the frosting.
2. Make frosting according to recipe below and decant into a piping bag fitted with an open star tip. I use a tall glass jug to help me hold my piping bag upright, whilst I pour the frosting inside.
3. Insert your Styrofoam or floral block into a heavy container that can support the weight of all the ice cream cones. Then make holes with the end of a pencil to insert the cones into the Styrofoam. Pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake cone.
4. Before the frosting dries up, ensure to sprinkle some colored ice cream sprinkles on top and finish off with a cherry!
* 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
* 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
* 2 cups powdered sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer.
2. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy.
3. Beat in the vanilla extract
If too thin, add more sugar to make it stiff enough to pipe into swirls. I also kept mine in the fridge for about 10 minutes to stiffen up a little.
For more Pool party Ideas see our Pool Party Post here.