When I was styling the Olympics Inspired Party shoot for Bird's Party Magazine, I scoured the shops for some Olympic Medals party favors but couldn't find any. Then I decided to have a go at making my own medals out of chocolate - 'cause edible favors are totally the best kind, don't you think? :)
Ingredients and Materials: Makes approximately 6 medals
* 2.5" Round paper puncher
* Milk and Dark Chocolate Bars (or chips) about 600g or 3 standard bars
* Straight edged, 2.5" flexible cupcake pan (or you can also use round lollipop molds)
* Aluminium foil or chocolate wrapping foil
* Vegetable oil cooking spray
* Double-sided tape or hot glue
How to Make your Chocolate Medal Favors:
1) Melt your chocolate pieces in the microwave at 30second intervals. Grease your mold with oil pray and wipe excess off with a paper towel (This stops the chocolate sticking to the mold. I used a flexible mold but found this step crucial.), then pour some melted chocolate into each mold. Chill until set.
2) When set, take the chocolate rounds out of the molds and wrap in foil - I found that my kitchen was quite hot, so I had to use thin rubber gloves to handle the chocolate rounds to avoid nasty fingerprints ;)
3) Print out the Olympic Medal Party Tag onto bright white card-stock, then punch them our using a 2.5" paper puncher
4) Secure a looped piece of ribbon to the back of each medal and attach a printable medal tag to the front using double-sided tape or hot glue - You can attach a white circle with he child's name or another medal tag to the back of each medal to hide the glue.
These went down a treat with my kids - They are so easy to make and are great as Olympics Party favors or as game prizes too!