I'm an advocate for hand-made, and don't care who knows it. BUT I also don't have a lot of time and like any working mom, budget is always at the forefront of my party planning.
And last year for my kid's joint Barnyard Birthday it was no different. I baked, crafted and handmade a lot of the details, including these Apple Cake Pops and mini "Farm Orchard" Centerpiece display for the pops...
BUT unashamed to say, taking few short cuts along the way - Which makes it a lot more enjoyable (not to mention a lot cheaper!) than buying all ready -made! ;)
Ingredients for the Apple Cake Pops (makes about 12 balls)
* 800g of Store-bought Pound cake
* 400g of Cream Cheese
* Bag of Red Candy Melts
* Lollipop Sticks
* Green Sour Candy Strips cut into leaves
Materials for Centerpiece Orchard:
* Vegetable Box (I got mine from the market - it was housing tangerines!)
* Popsicle Sticks
* Hot Glue
* White Acrylic Paint
* Block of Polystyrene or Floral Foam
* Enough Hay of fake Grass to Cover Box
1) Crumble cake in a bowl and add the cream cheese until mixture comes together and it's easy to form balls. Using a small ice cream scoop or a table spoon, make balls of about 1.5 inch and place on a tray in freezer for a few minutes to set.
2) Meanwhile melt the candy melts int he microwave at 30 sec. intervals until all melted (stirring in between). Take balls out of freezer and dip the tip of the lollipop sticks into the melted then insert the stick half-way into each ball.
3) Tap sticks on side of bowl to remove excess chocolate.
4) Whilst pops are still wet, insert a pretzel piece in the top and add a candy leaf.
6) Whilst pops are setting, hot glue lollipop sticks to the side of your wooden box and then paint the entire thing with acrylic paint. TIP: For an even quick result, use spray mat paint.
When dry, fill the box with a bloc of polystyrene or floral foam, and insert the pop stick into it. Finish with hay on top, and cute printable signs from Bird's Party.