Adult Party Ideas and Themes Dinner Party Ideas
Creamy Chickpea Houmous Appetizer Recipe9:56 AMC Riches
St. Patrick's Day is 'round the corner, and what better appetizer than a creamy houmous, to soak up the lashings of Guinness ?!
This is a favorite dip in our house, and makes a welcome appearance on many cocktail parties because it's super easy and quick to make, quite healthy, you can make it a day in advance, and tastes DIVINE!
My husband has been know to "drink" the stuff. Neat! So I always make sure I make plenty.
And I have a little secret for making it super creamy too!
Some purists (read 'fussy') chefs peel their chickpeas. True story...
But with a blender, you don't need to bother!
Creamy Chickpea Houmous Appetizer Recipe
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
* 200g/7oz can of chickpeas (don't drain - keep the brine it comes with)
* Juice of half a lemon
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 2 Heaped tablespoons of Tahini paste (sesame seed paste from Oriental stores)
* 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 1 tsp of smoked paprika
* Water to adjust consistency
* Salt to taste
* Irish soda bread to serve (since it's St Patrick's Day!)
How to make the creamiest chickpea houmous:
1) Add the can of chick peas with its brine into a blender. It will give you the smoothest consistency versus a food processor! Reserve a few whole chick peas for serving.
2) Add onto the chick peas: lemon juice, garlic, tahini, olive oil and blend to a creamy puree.
3) Add a little more water if the consistency is too coarse, until the smooth and creamy mixture is achieved.
4) Season with salt to taste. At this point, you can add a little more lemon or olive oil depending on how you like it (sharp or sweeter). The key is to taste, taste, taste!
5) Turn out into a serving bowl and make the top smooth with the back of a spoon - Optional, but helps hold the oil and chickpeas in place. Plus, looks pretty too!
6) Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and scatter with the reserved chickpeas and coriander leaves (optional). Sprinkle with the smoked paprika and serve with the Irish soda bread on the side.
This dip is perfect for as a party nibble or to fancy up appetizers, blinis, sandwiches and tarts...
'Yum' doesn't even come close!