When it comes to desserts I'm a cake kinda gal.
And no self-respecting party or family get-together should go without some form of cake - homemade, shop-bought...or my fav, a combination of the too! ;)
That's why this super drool-worthy but mega easy Black Forest Gateau is perfection for Thanksgiving (or any other time of year!)
You see, when it comes to cakes, I'm a tad impatient and tend to want to skip ahead to the decorating (the FUN!) part. So I often cheat a little along the way and use cake mixes to speed up the process.
Lately (and if you follow me on Instagram) you'll have noticed my go-to frosting of choice for speed and taste is Mascarpone cheese.
It's quick, pipes beautifully and lends itself to any flavorings you wanna add to complement your cake. No need to say it's super speedy too, but I'll say it anyways...
So, if you wanna impress your entourage with a reeeeally pretty, yummy cake to make this Thanksgiving, but pastry chef you are not, and/or would rather spend your time eating the cake rather than faffing over frosting techniques and piping bags...then this is the recipe for you, my friend! ;)
Easy Black Forest Gateau Cake Recipe
* 1 box of dark chocolate cake mix
* 250 g tub of Mascarpone cheese
* 3-4 tablespoons of icing or confectioner sugar sifted
* 1 jar of pitted cherries (darker and plumper varieties like Morello are best) in thick syrup
* 6-8 tablespoons of Kirsch or cherry liqueur (optional)
* Grated chocolate for decor
1) Bake the cake according to packet instructions. Let it cool overnight in the fridge for easy cutting.
2) The following day, cut the cake into 3 parts with a serrated knife. At this stage you can also add a little (a tablespoon or so) liqueur or cherry syrup to each layer, but it's optional if you're serving kids.
3) Mix the cheese with 3 tablespoons of the liqueur if using, and sweeten with 3-4 tablespoons of sugar.
4) Place a cake layer onto your cake stand and fill with a third of the cheese filling and add a few cherries on top.
5) Repeat until you get to the top layer. Decorate with more cherries, grated chocolate and cherry tree leave (optional).